Turmeric is one of the most used spices used worldwide, especially in India. But why? To add a yellowish color to your dish? Or to make your dish smell better? If you think that these are the only benefits of turmeric, then you must read the below to the most surprising and effective turmeric benefits. From skin, hair, teeth, throat to serious issues of heart, liver, joints, and brain, turmeric or turmeric powder can be used to curb any such issues.
My grandmother used to add turmeric to almost each of her DIY remedies. I never paid much heed to it until now. From her milk to food to her face fash, turmeric was a common ingredient. Let us see how:
The name turmeric comes from the Latin word Terra Merita, also known as the Yellow Root. It has been used in India and other eastern countries for over 1000 years and is a major part of Ayurveda, Siddha, Traditional Chinese, and Unani medicines. Not just Eastern countries but even western countries have started adding turmeric to their lifestyle. And hence turmeric is also known as the Queen of Spices. It is the most versatile spice in India.
Benefits of turmeric
1. Turmeric for skin
For ages, turmeric has been an integral part of Indian wedding rituals. Not only it symbolizes a healthy married life but also ensures radiant and glowing skin on the wedding day. This ritual in India is also known as the Haldi Ceremony.
Not just for a wedding day, turmeric is the cheapest solution for your glowing skin during your everyday busy lifestyle. You can easily ditch your toxic and costly cosmetics for the following face mask.
How to create a turmeric face mask?
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of organic honey
- 1 teaspoon milk or yogurt
Step1- Take a bowl and mix the following ingredients- turmeric powder, apple cider vinegar, honey, and milk or yogurt. Mix well until you get a thick consistency.
Step2- Wash your face nicely and apply the mask on your face, avoiding the eye area.
Step3- Let it rest on your face for 10-15 minutes and then rinse off the mask with normal water.
Turmeric with its anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties heals the skin and brings out a natural glow. It can also help cure acne. Turmeric is also naturally rich in Glutathione which is a natural agent for glowing and healthy skin.
2. Turmeric for Hair
Problems like premature hair loss, dandruff, etc. can be treated with turmeric. Curcumin is an active ingredient in turmeric which prevents hair loss and strengthens hair follicles. Turmeric’s antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties help in naturally cleansing the scalp and reducing dandruff by stimulating blood circulation in the scalp.
How to create a turmeric hair mask?
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or almond oil
- 1/2 tablespoon of organic honey
- 1 teaspoon milk
Step1- Take a bowl and mix the following ingredients- turmeric powder, olive oil, honey, and milk. Mix well until you get a thick consistency.
Step2- Apply the paste onto your scalp and all over your hair.
Step3- Let it rest for 15-20 minutes and then shampoo your hair as usual.
This not only prevents hair loss but also promotes shiny hair if used once a week for a month.
3. Turmeric for Gums
Turmeric contains Curcumin, an organic, non-toxic chemical compound that not only gives it its bright yellow color, but also its potent antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antioxidant properties among many others.
How to create a turmeric whitening toothpaste?
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1-2 drops Peppermint extract (for flavor)
- 1/8 teaspoon melted Coconut Oil
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
Step1- Take a bowl and mix the following ingredients- turmeric powder, peppermint extract, coconut oil, and baking soda. Mix well until you get a thick consistency.
Step2- Apply the paste onto your toothbrush and brush your teeth well.
Step3- Then rinse your mouth thoroughly with normal water.
To get rid of the stubborn turmeric powder, brush it with regular toothpaste. This can also curb bad breath.
4. Turmeric for wounds
Turmeric naturally has antiseptic, anti-viral, and antibacterial properties which are effective for healing wounds, cuts, or any other injuries.
How to use turmeric for wounds?
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
Step1- Take a bowl and mix the following ingredients- turmeric powder, and water. Mix well until you get a thick consistency.
Step2- Wash your hands and then apply the paste onto your wound
Step3- Leave it to rest.
Do this for three days and you’ll forget all the other chemical wound healing creams.
5. Turmeric for throat
Turmeric works against a sore throat by inhibiting inflammation and provides relief symptoms like burning, itching (or that scratchy feeling), pain, and swelling within the throat.
There are various ways by which turmeric can be used for the throat-
- Gargle– Take about a half cup of warm water; add around half a spoon of salt and one-fourth spoon of turmeric powder to the water. Use this to gargle every day in the morning. Also, avoid eating or drinking anything 30 minutes after you gargle for better results.
2. Turmeric tea– Add one tablespoon of turmeric powder to 4 cups of boiling water and let it boil for a few more minutes. Strain (if required) and mix with lemon juice and honey. Drink the tea when it is still warm to find quick relief from a sore throat. You can even buy turmeric tea from NoshOrgano which is made with natural ingredients. It not only ensures better results but also is cost-effective.
3. Haldi doodh (turmeric milk)– Take half a spoon of turmeric and coarsely grounded black pepper; add it to a glass of boiling milk. Drink this mixture twice a day to find relief from a sore throat.
4. Turmeric F+ Capsules– No time to prepare DIYs for yourself? Don’t worry, we have turmeric capsules that will give you the same benefits as any other turmeric DIY.
Buy Turmeric Powder Online
NoshOrgano sells a wide range of herbal products like spices, cosmetics, etc. and one of them is Turmeric. There are three different forms in which turmeric is usually available- Turmeric powder, Turmeric Tea, and Turmeric F+ Capsules. All of them and a wide range of other such Organic and Herbal products are available on our online Ayurveda store.
Visit www.noshorgano and buy them now.